Friday, August 11, 2006

The last walk

It was late evening on the 4th of August and just a few hours to go for my flight to the US. I suddenly remembered that I had given my bike for service and I had to get it back. Infact it had broken down (midway to the petrol bunk) the day before with an engine seizure and a broken kicker pedal and only I knew that mechanic shop (and I had to pay for it as well). I decided to walk all the way to the mechanic shop. On the way, I saw around four people with some simple percussion instruments (the traditional ones used for playing "DAPPAN-KUUTHU") and behind them were two people clad in red dress and totally drenched. I thought it was one of those mad religious ritualistic processions. So I kept on walking. But the music was pretty good. So I turned back to see. Quite a few small kids had gathered around them and they had started dancing. The band played danda-nakara nakara nakara ... danda-nakara nakara nakara .. danda-nakara nakara nakara.... pakka dappankuuthu. They played it quite beautifully and I also felt like dancing. Infact after listening to it, if a person doesn't feel like dancing, then there is something terribly wrong in that person. But I knew that I had a job on hand. So I kept walking to the mechanic shop. The crowd around the band was increasing by the minute, and the party was getting merrier. The band was also getting louder, so I could hear the music all the way. Simbly Suuper and "The more the merrier". I too felt so happy. I marvelled at the innocent happiness of those kids. They dint have to go to work on monday morning and write C/C++ code to fix a silly bug. They dint have to travel halfway across the globe to attend graduate school. They were happy in their own backyard. I knew at that instant that I was going to miss all this for atleast a couple of years. I was moving to a very mechanical and commercialized world. But I knew that there was a pupose behind that move of mine. So "KEEP WALKING".............

2 Comments:

Blogger Darshan said...

so SO true and realistic ... but then this happens in every mans life and is an integral part of the same which is the greatest learning factor for all mankind to knw one very imp thing ...

LIVE THE MOMENT .. but beautifully portrayed ...

Sunday, October 15, 2006 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Shree Nee said...

This is so beautiful,there are memories of such types of mine which are not jotted down. after reading this blog, makes me think of so many such occasions and especially bcos I am so much away from my parents.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 12:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home