Saturday, August 12, 2006

A Hundred Dollar Bill

This is one of the saddest possible things that can happen to a poverty stricken graduate student here at UT Austin. And f***, it happened to me and hopefully not many others.
All students joining the school (this is a requirement in most univs) are required to clear an immunization bar to be able to register for classes. The students have to prove that they are properly immunized, and thereby are not carrying any viruses which might spread and affect other innocent Americans. I was given a form on which a doctor had to declare the dates on which I was immunized and also attest that form. I had taken this form to a doctor in Bangalore and he said that everybody will be given that immunization doze on the day when they are born and a second doze one month after that. So I thought that I need not have to go through the agony of metal reigning supreme over flesh and was happy about it. He signed on that form and asked me to fill in the dates. I filled in the dates as instructed.
After coming here, I went to submit the form at the UHS (University Health Services) to clear the immunization bar. The lady at the UHS office looked quizzingly at me. She said that nobody is given this immunization on the day of their birth and so she wouldn't clear the immunization bar for me. She said that I will have to get the immunization done here so that I can register for classes. And this bloody f***** immunization costs me 100$. I felt like kicking myself. I don't know whom to blame. I don't understand what the f*** that doctor studied for 5 years to get an MBBS. I don't even know whether he was indeed correct and these people here are crazy. In retrospect I feel that probably I should have enquired about it with fellow students here before submitting the form. But it all comes down to the fact that I need to pay 100$ to let an American doctor pierce a needle through my body which has grown up eating Indian food. GOD SAVE ME.

I don't care if my liver is hanging by a thread
don't care if my doctor says I ought to be dead

When my ugly big car wont climb this hill
Ill write a suicide note on a hundred dollar bill

cos if you wanna run cool
If you wanna run cool
Yes if you wanna run cool, you got to run
On heavy, heavy fuel.
- Dire Straits

8 Comments:

Blogger germinal dreamer said...

money comes today goes tomorrow ya!!

Monday, August 14, 2006 2:16:00 PM  
Blogger Wherever I May Roam said...

Hope it comes tomorrow, if not today.

Monday, August 14, 2006 3:10:00 PM  
Blogger Vijay said...

dei its just money. remeber thalapathi dialog or ur watchman's idli dialog?

Thursday, August 17, 2006 11:05:00 AM  
Blogger Wherever I May Roam said...

For the purpose of the reader community, if at all there exists one,
i shall reproduce my watchman's dialogue on financial matters.
"Aayaram rooba note irundha...oora vecha thimbaya??? manishanukku rendu idly thaan!!!!!"
But for that rendu idly also u need money and thats all wat i am looking for...i am not aspiring to be a millionare overnight

Thursday, August 17, 2006 1:05:00 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

damn sad. if i knew i wouldve directed u to my dad whose a doc!

Thursday, August 24, 2006 1:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am unable to find a suitable word for this. I can't say it's cool, or good as ur already sad loosing that money. And I can't blame the doctor, as our whole indian s/m is like that. I think enquire with ur frnds would have saved u.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 1:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheer up man fine...............If I was the doctor i would have earned that 100 big $.......

http://digital-fire.blogspot.com/

Saturday, November 25, 2006 7:31:00 PM  
Blogger N said...

why a doctor in Bangalore?

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 6:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home